WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING YOUR TYPE OF BREAST IMPLANTS
- Posted on: Aug 17 2013
Silicone or Saline? And A Third Option You May Not Have Considered.
Over 300,000 women had a breast augmentation last year and their rave reviews are leading new women to jump in and question: Silicone or Saline? Here is an apples to apples comparison of both implant types to help you make a decision, plus a little-known third alternative to consider.
Silicone implants are constructed with a silicone outer shell and are pre-filled with silicone gel. This material is intended to mimic the consistency and texture of natural human fat tissue.
Saline implants also have an outer shell made of silicone. However, this type of implant gets its name from the sterilized saltwater solution that they are filled with. Unlike silicone implants, saline implants are put into place before being filled.
HOW SAFE ARE THEY?
The FDA has approved saline and silicone implants for breast augmentation; however, while saline is approved for ages 18 and older you must be at least 22 years old for silicone implants. If you have a need for breast reconstruction, both types are been approved for patients of all ages. Neither implant has been associated with disease of connected tissue, breast cancer, or any reproductive issues.
WHY YOU MAY PREFER SALINE
- If you are considering submuscular placement, saline implants often work best.
- The surgery for saline implants leaves less noticeable scars.
- If a rupture were to happen, saline is natural to the human body and would not cause any health issues. A rupture is also far easier to detect in the case of saline implants.
- Saline implants are less expensive.
WHY YOU MAY WANT SILICONE
- If you are considering subglandular placement, silicone implants provide for a more natural transition when placed closer to the skin surface.
- Many women believe that silicone offers more natural looking and feeling results.
- Silicone implants are less prone to rippling or wrinkling.
A THIRD KIND OF BREAST AUGMENTATION?
Yes, there is a third option available for you to consider! For those of you who do not want implants but still wish to increase the size of your breasts, there is an alternative option known as Fat-Grafting, or Natural Breast Augmentation. This process uses your own fat to increase the size of your breasts, however, it is only offered by about 62% of surgeons according to a recent poll by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Tagged with: breast augmentation
Posted in: Breast Enhancement