Confused about Gynecomastia? Let’s Get to the Facts!
- Posted on: May 30 2017
Let’s just be honest, when a man notices excess breast tissue, it can become incredibly difficult to concentrate on anything, let alone muster the power to understand what’s going on. Gynecomastia is a condition that is becoming more familiar as men are discussing their concerns, and as medicine has developed ways of mitigating the issue of “man boobs.” Here, we want to clarify what gynecomastia is. This way, you can better discern what may be behind your body concerns.
Some Straight-forward Answers
- Gynecomastia is not a medical issue. It does not indicate cancer. It can, however, wreak havoc on a man’s emotional well-being.
- In some cases, the development of breast tissue is linked to medication our recreational drug use. In some, obesity is an underlying factor.
- A large majority of gynecomastia cases have no direct underlying cause. The breasts just develop however they develop.
- Young men may develop gynecomastia during adolescence, whereas others notice that breasts grow larger sometime during adulthood.
- Gynecomastia is not only the excessiveness of fat; it may also involve glandular tissue.
- Treatment for gynecomastia is available and may be obtained once physical development has reached maturity.
Let’s Talk Fat
One of the biggest surprises that men face when trying to slim down their chest is that weight loss doesn’t always fix the issue. There is a term called pseudogynecomastia that has been used to refer to weight-related excess breast tissue. The problem with this is that it gives the impression that weight is the only mitigating factor in gynecomastia. It’s not. When a man gains weight, his hormone levels get thrown out of balance. This biochemical imbalance can remain long after weight has been stabilized within a healthy range.
There is still a lot that science does not know about gynecomastia. Here’s what we do know . . . You don’t have to live with a condition that causes you to feel self-conscious. The team at San Antonio Plastic Surgery, PA has the precise experience you are looking for to eliminate excess breast tissue for good.
Posted in: Male Breast Reduction