The Rise of Removal, Replacement, and Revision Breast Implant Surgeries
- Posted on: Nov 7 2019
Breast implant revision surgery is a procedure in which a woman’s breast implants are removed or replaced. Generally, this is done when the patient has a desire to have different size implants or when there are complications that need correcting after a breast augmentation procedure. Whatever the reason, our team at San Antonio Cosmetic Surgery is full of experts that will tend to your concerns.
When to Consider Breast Revision
Breast implants do not last forever. Most tend to last for about 10-15 years before revision is needed. Some patients may just get tired of their implants or want a different look. Some reasons people consider breast revision are:
• Your silicone implant has ruptured and has a shell leak or your saline implant has deflated
• You want to change the size of your breast implants
• You have developed capsular contracture
• Your breast tissue has changed due to weight loss or weight gain or due to stretching of the skin
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Breast Revision?
As with any cosmetic surgery procedure, there are pros and cons of breast revision. The advantages are having a more youthful breast shape, being able to increase or decrease the size of your breasts, and having better symmetry. Disadvantages are that you need to undergo another surgery, you have to go through recovery again, and your breast shape may still change over time.
Are You a Good Candidate for Breast Revision?
Over time, it’s only natural that there will be some changes in your breast implants. These changes may warrant revision surgery. Good candidates for the procedures are people who fit the following items:
• You’re in good overall health
• You don’t smoke
• You want to change the size of your breasts
• You want to correct asymmetry in your breasts
• You want to have problems with your implants corrected
• You’re unhappy with the overall results of your first procedure
• You want to have your implants removed
What are My Options?
Overall, there are various means the surgeon can use to perform breast revision surgery. The specific method used will depend on your reason for wanting the procedure. It’s important to be fully open and honest with your doctor to ensure that your needs are met. During your consultation, you and your doctor will determine the following:
• Type of implant: Different types of implants can be used in breast revision, namely saline and silicone. Saline is filled with sterile salt water while silicone is filled with elastic silicone gel. Cohesive gel implants are also available and are more popularly known as “gummy bear” implants. They are filled with a cohesive gel and thicker than other types.
• Location of implant: Breast implants can be implanted either above or underneath the pectoral muscle. Under is generally preferable as it allows the breasts to look more natural and interferes less with breastfeeding and mammograms.
If you just want your implants removed, you and your surgeon will need to discuss your options for going back to natural breasts.
If you reside in the San Antonio area and are considering breast revision or breast augmentation, contact San Antonio Cosmetic Surgery today to schedule a consultation.