Meet Dr. Ortegon
Now selected as a Texas Monthly SuperDoctor for six years running!
Dr. Ortegon is a Board Certified Plastic, Reconstructive Surgeon, and President and Director of San Antonio Cosmetic Surgery. He serves on the Clinical Faculty of the Department of Plastic Surgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, and is the Chief of the Plastic Surgery Division at the Christus Santa Rosa Medical Westover Hills Hospital. Dr. Ortegon offers a wide range of cosmetic and reconstructive surgical procedures, and specializes in breast and body procedures. Fluent in both English and Spanish, Dr. Ortegon is a long time resident of San Antonio, and is familiar with the environment, people, and culture of the San Antonio area. Dr. Ortegon earned a B.A. in Microbiology from the University of Texas, Austin and received his medical degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. He completed General Surgery and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery residencies at the University Hospital, San Antonio.
Dr. Ortegon is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and holds an additional Board Certification in General Surgery. Dr. Ortegon has presented his work to professional colleagues at national and statewide medical meetings, including the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, the Society of Air Force Clinical Surgeons, and the Aust Society. He has also been the recipient of numerous awards for research and writing:
- The Alexander Competition from the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Two J Bradley Awards for Basic Science Research from the Aust Society of San Antonio
- The Surgeon General’s Award in Trauma/Critical Care from the 49th Annual Symposium for the Society of Air Force Clinical Surgeons, Las Vegas, NV
- The Bard Best Paper Award, presented at the International Symposium for Endovascular Therapy, Miami Beach, FL
- The Directors Star Award, presented by the South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX for extraordinary patient care and personal devotion to patients.
- The Scientific Poster award from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Dr. Ortegon’s work has also been published in the following professional journals: Microsurgery, the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, the Journal of Trauma, Infection, and Critical Care, CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, and the Journal of Surgical Research. He also has a chapter on Pediatric Thermal Injury for the Pediatric Surgery text. He is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Click here for Dr. Ortegon’s complete CV.
“Best office ever! Dr. Ortegon is fantastic, and everyone on his staff is really nice! One of his employees had the same procedure done, so she spent a lot of time telling me about her experience and giving me some pointers that helped her through recovery. Dr. Ortegon is not only really, really good at what he does, but he also has a lot of patience and will answer all the questions that you have even though he’s probably heard the exact same questions thousands of times.”
*Individual results may vary